求一首求婚英文歌歌 I'm hold the back for wait me,so on

& “In the middle of the...”习题详情
0位同学学习过此题,做题成功率0%
In the middle of the night, Peter’s wife suddenly fell ill. She rolled from side to side, crying, “Oh, my stomach! Get the&31 &!” Peter thought his wife was only having a &32 &dream.“Stop that noise,” he said to her. He turned over and tried to go to &33 &again. But his wife still cried out, “Oh, help! Help! I’m sure I am &34 &.”Peter got out of bed and started &35 &, but he could not find his clothes.“Where is my shirt?” he asked. His wife was &36 &ill to tell him, and she could only cry, “Oh, my poor &37 &!”As soon as he had put his clothes &38 &, he said, “Now, my dear, are you quite &39 &that you need the doctor? Surely you can wait &40 &next morning, can’t you?” “No, I can’t, go, go, go!” his wife shouted, “ &41 &you will find me dead in the morning!” So Peter went out into the &42 &street. He had only gone a few steps, when he heard his wife &43 &him again. “I’m &44 &again, and I shall not want the doctor.” She said softly.Hearing this, he started running as &45 &as he could towards the doctor’s house. When he arrived there, he knocked at the door with his stick loudly enough to wake &46 &around. “Oh, Doctor,” Peter called loudly to the doctor, “I have very &47 &news for you. My wife &48 &ill with a terrible stomachache. I was on the way to bring you to her. But she called me back to say that the trouble had suddenly &49 &her. So you need not come. Go back to bed now and &50 &well.”1.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.driver&&&&&&&&& B.nurse&&&&&&&&& C.doctor&& D.policeman&2.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.terrible &&&&&&& B.interesting&&&&& C.surprising &&& D.wonderful&3.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.work &&&&&&&&& B.sleep&&&&&&&&&& C.cry& D.read&4.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.working&&&&&&& B.dying &&&&&&&&& C.walking&& D.sleeping&5.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.dressing&&&&&&& B.running&&&&&&&& C.crying&&& D.working&6.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.very &&&&&&&&& B.so &&&&&&&&&&& C.too
D.quite&7.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.head &&&&&&&&& B.teeth &&&&&&&&& C.stomach& D.hands&8.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.down&&&&&&&&& B.off &&&&&&&&&&& C.up&& D.on&9.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.certain&&&&&&&& B.anxious&&&&&&&& C.worried& D.afraid&10.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.before&&&&&&&& B.for&&&&&&&&&&& C.to && D.until&11.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.and&&&&&&&&&& B.but&&&&&&&&&&& C.therefore& D.or&12.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.bright&&&&&&&&& B.dark&&&&&&&&&& C.noisy D.dirty&13.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.telling&&&&&&&&& B.calling &&&&&&&& C.wanting & D.ordering&14.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.good&&&&&&&&& B.wrong&&&&&&&&& C.all right&&& D.terrible&15.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.fast&&&&&&&&&&& B.slowly&&&&&&&&& C.carefully & D.happily&16.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.everyone &&&&& B.someone&&&&&& C.no one && D.nobody&17.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.good &&&&&&&&& B.bad &&&&&&&&&& C.disappointing&& D.happy&18.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.remained&&&&&& B.fell&&&&&&&&&&& C.grew D.failed&19.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.comforted&&&&& B.missed&&&&&&&& C.wanted&&& D.left&20.&&&&&&&&&&&&&& A.work&&&&&&&&& B.say&&&&&&&&&&& C.think D.sleep&&
本题难度:一般
题型:解答题&|&来源:2015-新疆兵团农二师华山中学高一上期期中考试英语卷
分析与解答
习题“In the middle of the night, Peter’s wife suddenly fell ill. She rolled from side to side, crying, “Oh, my...”的分析与解答如下所示:
1.C2.A3.B4.B5.A6.C7.C8.D9.A10.D11.D12.B13.B14.C15.A16.A17.A18.B19.D20.D
本文讲述的是一个妻子半夜突然生了病,而她丈夫在她已经好转之后还到医生家把医生叫醒的幽默小故事。1.C. 考察常识。生了病自然是去请医生。2.A. 形容词辨析。A可怕的B有趣的C令人惊讶的D很棒。妻子睡觉时突然大叫,丈夫以为她只是做了个恶梦。3. B. 他翻了个身又想睡了。go to sleep意为“ 入睡”, go to bed意为“ 去睡觉”。4.B. 词义辨析。A工作B垂死的C步行D睡觉。妻子感觉病得很重以致于快死了。5.A. 动词辨析。这里肯定是穿衣且强调动作,所以用dress。6.C. 固定搭配。Too…to…太…而不能…;从下文可以得知妻子没有告诉他,因为她病得太厉害了。7.C 上下文串联。根据文章第一段Oh, my stomach!可知是她的肚子疼。8. D. 固定搭配。这里是穿上衣服,故选put...on。9.A. 形容词辨析。A确定的B焦虑的C担心的D害怕的。丈夫想确定一下妻子是否真的需要请医生。10. D. 连词辨析。Until…直到…才…;根据句意是“等到早上”。11.D. 上下文串联。Or“否则”;妻子让丈夫赶快去,否则到了早上他会发现她已经死了。12.B. 固定搭配。在早上是in the morning。13.B. 他刚走了几米,这时他听到他的妻子又喊他。when 表示“就在这个时候”。14. C. 下文说不用请医生了,说明她感觉好了。15.A.固定搭配。 as fast as he could意为“尽可能快地”。16.A. 上下文串联。敲门如此之响以致于能吵醒附近的每一个人。17. A. 从下文得知医生不用半夜出诊了,他认为这对医生来说是个好消息。18.B. 从文章开头能看出答案。fall ill 意为“生病”。19. D. 动词辨析。A安慰B错过C想要D离开。后来病痛突然就没了。20.D. 上下文串联。既然不用去给他妻子看病,丈夫就让医生回去睡觉。分析:
考点1:人物传记/故事阅读类
一、完型填空题的命题特点& & & &完型填空题是一种综合性比较强的测试题,它把单项填空和阅读理解等题型融为一体,它不仅考查学生对词汇、词组、语法、句型和常识逻辑等语言基础知识的掌握情况和正确使用语法知识的能力,而且也考查学生的理解能力、推理能力、以及情景语感等方面综合理解和运用语言的能力。完型填空题通常有两种题型:一种是选择填空题,即四选一;另一种是短文填空题。其中,以第一种较为普遍。& 二、完型填空的命题趋势 & && 1、体裁、题材多样,考察学生涉猎各种信息的能力& & & 体裁有记叙文、说明文等;题材涉及到趣味故事、幽默小品、科普知识、日常生活、人物小记、社会热点话题等等。短文一般文章短小,情节连贯,层次分明,线索清楚。目的是考查学生是否有阅读各种体裁、题材文章的能力以及获取各种新息的能力。 & 2、侧重整体理解、考查学生快速阅读理解能力。 & &解完型填空题需要学生具备视读、跳读、查读、猜词等各种快速阅读技巧。因为解题时间有限,在短短的时间内,要完成全文和选项的阅读,还要进行正确判断、推理、核查等工作。可见阅读速度非常重要。 & && 3、侧重基础知识,考查学生语言知识的能力。 & & & 完型填空以文入手,结合文章的内容考查学生的基础知识,主要是词语搭配、近义词辨 异、辨析句子结构、掌握语法规则的能力。 & 4、上下文对照,考查学生捕捉关键词的能力。 & & & 解完型填空题时,单独看一句话是找不到正确答案的,需要阅读下句或者若干句才能明白。所谓上下对照,即在上文和下文中找到与正确答案相同的关键词。因此,在做题时要边读边在大脑中储存上下文信息的能力,捕捉关键词。 & 5、设置语境,考查学生的分析推理能力。 & & &旨在考查学生在选项都符合语法及句子结构的情况下能否利用前后语境去推断出正确答案。 & & 6、结合生活,考查学生利用常识题的能力。 & & &目的考查学生的生活常识,看看学生是否善于观察生活,积累生活常识,能否利用常识去做恰当的选择。 & && 7、关注连词,考查学生对行文逻辑、句子关联的理解能力。 & & 此项用来考查学生在缺少连词的情况想,通过阅读能否理解句子的与句子的关系,是否了解行文逻辑的要求,能否掌握表示因果、转折、并列、条件、让步等的连词的用法。& 三、完型填空题的解题步骤: & & & 1、通读全文,了解大意 & & & & & 越过空挡,通读全文,理顺题意,找出信息词,建立语言的整体感。这是做好完型 填空题的关键。因为完型填空题的特点是着眼于整体理解。 & && 2、细读首尾,推测意图 && & & &文章的首句是全文的“窗口”,尾句是文章的总结、结论或点睛之笔。这样,通过阅 读首句和尾句,就可以了解背景知识,对于空格位置的词语进行大胆分析和判断,以便揣测作者的意图,理顺思路,为后面的答题做好铺垫。 & && 3、综合考虑,瞻前顾后 & & & & 在通读全文的基础上,根据全文大意,展开逻辑思维,瞻前顾后,分析这一空格处在 句中的地位,前后的关系和它所起的作用,认真观察选项,仔细推敲,确定最佳答案。& 初中各年级课件教案习题汇总 语文数学英语物理化学 4、复读全文,验证答案 &做完题目以后,要立足整体,再次通读全文,从语法入手,检查一下句子的时态、语法、主谓一致、代词的性、数、格以及词语的搭配等是否正确。若有疑问,必须根据文章的中心思想,从意义、语法的角度来仔细权衡,加以改正,弥补疏漏。
找到答案了,赞一个
如发现试题中存在任何错误,请及时纠错告诉我们,谢谢你的支持!
In the middle of the night, Peter’s wife suddenly fell ill. She rolled from side to side, crying, “O...
错误类型:
习题内容残缺不全
习题有文字标点错误
习题内容结构混乱
习题对应知识点不正确
分析解答残缺不全
分析解答有文字标点错误
分析解答结构混乱
习题类型错误
错误详情:
我的名号(最多30个字):
看完解答,记得给个难度评级哦!
“In the middle of the...”的最新评论
欢迎来到乐乐题库,查看习题“In the middle of the night, Peter’s wife suddenly fell ill. She rolled from side to side, crying, “Oh, my stomach! Get the____31____!” Peter thought his wife was only having a____32____dream.“Stop that noise,” he said to her. He turned over and tried to go to____33____again. But his wife still cried out, “Oh, help! Help! I’m sure I am____34____.”Peter got out of bed and started____35____, but he could not find his clothes.“Where is my shirt?” he asked. His wife was____36____ill to tell him, and she could only cry, “Oh, my poor____37____!”As soon as he had put his clothes____38____, he said, “Now, my dear, are you quite____39____that you need the doctor? Surely you can wait____40____next morning, can’t you?” “No, I can’t, go, go, go!” his wife shouted, “____41____you will find me dead in the morning!” So Peter went out into the____42____street. He had only gone a few steps, when he heard his wife____43____him again. “I’m____44____again, and I shall not want the doctor.” She said softly.Hearing this, he started running as____45____as he could towards the doctor’s house. When he arrived there, he knocked at the door with his stick loudly enough to wake____46____around. “Oh, Doctor,” Peter called loudly to the doctor, “I have very____47____news for you. My wife____48____ill with a terrible stomachache. I was on the way to bring you to her. But she called me back to say that the trouble had suddenly____49____her. So you need not come. Go back to bed now and____50____well.”1. A.driver B.nurse C.doctor D.policeman2. A.terrible
B.interesting C.surprising
D.wonderful3. A.work
B.sleep C.cry D.read4. A.working B.dying
C.walking D.sleeping5. A.dressing B.running C.crying D.working6. A.very
D.quite7. A.head
C.stomach D.hands8. A.down B.off
C.up D.on9. A.certain B.anxious C.worried D.afraid10. A.before B.for C.to
D.until11. A.and B.but C.therefore D.or12. A.bright B.dark C.noisy D.dirty13. A.telling B.calling
C.wanting
D.ordering14. A.good B.wrong C.all right D.terrible15. A.fast B.slowly C.carefully
D.happily16. A.everyone
B.someone C.no one
D.nobody17. A.good
C.disappointing D.happy18. A.remained B.fell C.grew D.failed19. A.comforted B.missed C.wanted D.left20. A.work B.say C.think D.sleep”的答案、考点梳理,并查找与习题“In the middle of the night, Peter’s wife suddenly fell ill. She rolled from side to side, crying, “Oh, my stomach! Get the____31____!” Peter thought his wife was only having a____32____dream.“Stop that noise,” he said to her. He turned over and tried to go to____33____again. But his wife still cried out, “Oh, help! Help! I’m sure I am____34____.”Peter got out of bed and started____35____, but he could not find his clothes.“Where is my shirt?” he asked. His wife was____36____ill to tell him, and she could only cry, “Oh, my poor____37____!”As soon as he had put his clothes____38____, he said, “Now, my dear, are you quite____39____that you need the doctor? Surely you can wait____40____next morning, can’t you?” “No, I can’t, go, go, go!” his wife shouted, “____41____you will find me dead in the morning!” So Peter went out into the____42____street. He had only gone a few steps, when he heard his wife____43____him again. “I’m____44____again, and I shall not want the doctor.” She said softly.Hearing this, he started running as____45____as he could towards the doctor’s house. When he arrived there, he knocked at the door with his stick loudly enough to wake____46____around. “Oh, Doctor,” Peter called loudly to the doctor, “I have very____47____news for you. My wife____48____ill with a terrible stomachache. I was on the way to bring you to her. But she called me back to say that the trouble had suddenly____49____her. So you need not come. Go back to bed now and____50____well.”1. A.driver B.nurse C.doctor D.policeman2. A.terrible
B.interesting C.surprising
D.wonderful3. A.work
B.sleep C.cry D.read4. A.working B.dying
C.walking D.sleeping5. A.dressing B.running C.crying D.working6. A.very
D.quite7. A.head
C.stomach D.hands8. A.down B.off
C.up D.on9. A.certain B.anxious C.worried D.afraid10. A.before B.for C.to
D.until11. A.and B.but C.therefore D.or12. A.bright B.dark C.noisy D.dirty13. A.telling B.calling
C.wanting
D.ordering14. A.good B.wrong C.all right D.terrible15. A.fast B.slowly C.carefully
D.happily16. A.everyone
B.someone C.no one
D.nobody17. A.good
C.disappointing D.happy18. A.remained B.fell C.grew D.failed19. A.comforted B.missed C.wanted D.left20. A.work B.say C.think D.sleep”相似的习题。一首英文歌,里面有段渐强的,歌词有很多i know you_百度知道
一首英文歌,里面有段渐强的,歌词有很多i know you
很激昂 是i know
我有更好的答案
(making love) out of nothing at all, (making love) out of nothing at all(making love) out of nothing at all. Every time I see you all the rays of the sun are streaming through the waves in your hair, making love out of nothing at all(Making love) om never gonna make it without you, (making love) out of nothing at all, (making love) out of nothing at all? And I'm never gonna make it like you do, Making love out of nothing at allair supply-
Making love out of nothing at all
是吗, Do you really want to see me crawl?歌词如下:I knowls lost and it&#39, at the sound of the whistle, I can make all the stadiums rock. I can make tonight forever, Or I can make it d And I can make you every promise that has ever been made, And I can make all your demons be gone. But I's nothing till I and I don' I know just where and I know just how to lie. I know just how to fake it, and I kno I know just whs looking for a rhythm like you. You can take the darkness from the pit of the nightand turn into a beacon burning endlessly bright. I've got to follow it, 'cause everything I know, well it&#39, but I know I&#39, and I kno I know when to pull you closer, and I know when to let you loose. And I know the night is fading, and I know that time' and I&#39, and then I know just when to dream. I can make the runner stumble, I can
And I cve got to give it a try. And I know just where to touch you. But I don't know how to leave you, and I' and every star in the sky is taking aim at your eyes like a spotlight, The beating om never gonna tell you everythingI'em and I always know the name of the game. And I know the roads to riches, and I k I know all the rulesand then I know how to break &#39, and it&#39, and I know just how to cry
采纳率:23%
ll tell you what you want wantSo many ladies in the rooom (in the rooom)All that I can see is you (see is you)This dime piece is in this plaace (plaace)But you came through and took the case (whoooh)Cause I know what I likeAnd I know what I wantAnd I know how to get itLet me in your world (yeeaah)Yes I know what I likeAnd I know what I want (want)And I know how to get itLet me prove it to you one on oneCan I take you home girl (can I take you home girl)Get you all alone girl (get you all alone girl)And do you like I want to (aayyeah)Kiss you like I want to (kiss it like I want to)Can I take you home girlGet you all alone girl (get you all alone girl)And do you like I want toKiss you like I want to(And love you like I want to)I'm staring at you eye to eye (eye to eye)I'm nothin like these other guys (other guys)Let me drop this on yo mind (on yo mind)I'll tell you what you want wantYou know what I want wantI know what you want wantTell me what I want wantI&#39!You know what I want wantI know what you want wantTell me what I want wantI&#39希望能帮到你
不是···
如果你能多提供点信息
我会再帮你找
不然的话只能说抱歉了
希望能帮到你!
是一个女的唱的
[Do You Wanna]其中歌词是Do you wanna do you wannaDo you wanna make love to meI know you wanna I know you wannaI know you wanna make love to meI came to tell you that you re my favourite girlWould you like it if I put you into my world
是不h是Kelly Clarkson--Already Gone 歌词: remember all the things we wanted 我们想要记得过去的一r切5 now all our memories, they're haunted 可现在我们所有的记忆3都缠绕在心1头 we were always meant to say goodbye 这意味着我们该分0手2了h even with our fists held high 尽管我们拳头高举 it never would've worked out right 但也n不q能正确的解决问题 we were never meant for do or die 这也o不m意味着我们会这样分8开w i didn't want us to burn out 我不x想我们就这样燃尽 i didn't 。e here to hold you 我不m能过来保护你 now i can't stop 现在我也l该停止2了s i want you to know that it doesn't matter 我想让你知道。这并无h大s碍 where we take this road 不q管我们走哪条路 someone's gotta go 总有人o会离开n and i want you to know 可我又a想让你知道 you couldn't have loved me better 你不p能更好的爱我 but i want you to move on 但我又t想让你在这条路上g继续前行 so i'm already gone 所以7我选择离开u looking at you makes it harder 看着你困难前行 but i know that you'll find another 但我知道你会找到令一u个s伴侣 that doesn't always make you want to cry (如此困难)都未曾让你哭泣 started with a perfect kiss 以6一q个h完美的吻开c始(恋爱) then we could feel the poison set in 然后我们感觉到毒药慢慢侵袭而来 perfect couldn't keep this love alive 完美的一j切4却并不u能使这种爱继续存在 you know that i love you so 你知道我是如此爱你 i love you enough to let you go 我爱你已x经到放你走的地步 i want you to know that it doesn't matter 我想让你知道。这并无l大y碍 where we take this road 不e管我们走哪条路 someone's gotta go 总有人t会离开d and i want you to know 可我又s想让你知道 you couldn't have loved me better 你不i能更好的爱我 but i want you to move on 但我又u想让你在这条路上q继续前行 so i'm already gone 所以8我选择离开k i'm already gone, already gone 我已i经离开w,已h经离开i了v。。。 you can't make it feel right 你肯定会不y适应 when you know that it's wrong 但当你发现哪里不j适应的时候 i'm already gone, already gone 我已n经离开w,已c经离开r了m。。。 there's no moving on 前方4已l经没有路了w so i'm already gone 所以3我选择离开h remember all the things we wanted 我们想要记得过去的一x切7 now all our memories, they're haunted 可现在我们所有的记忆5都缠绕在心2头 we were always meant to say goodbye 这意味着我们该分5手1了q i want you to know that it doesn't matter 我想让你知道。这并无m大b碍 where we take this road 不f管我们走哪条路 someone's gotta go 总有人h会离开u and i want you to know 可我又q想让你知道 you couldn't have loved me better 你不h能更好的爱我 but i want you to move on 但我又k想让你在这条路上v继续前行 so i'm already gone 所以0我选择离开n i'm already gone, already gone 我已n经离开w,已o经离开g了r you can't make it feel right 你肯定会觉得不w适应 when you know that it's wrong 但当你明白哪里不l适应的时候 i'm already gone, already gone 我已l经离开w, 已m经离开v了q there's no moving on 前方5已i经没有路了h so i'm already gone 所以6我选择离开o
jホy▄vゥvゥnc悚fモヌ】fモヌ】c悚l哀
i know you want me.是不是?
······不是
Jay-Z.听听看。and i know 萧亚轩。
Maroon 5-Moves Like Jagger
你去听下是不是这首?
不是···
NG3 - The Anthem 是这个吗?
其他3条回答
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
您可能关注的内容
英文歌的相关知识
换一换
回答问题,赢新手礼包
个人、企业类
违法有害信息,请在下方选择后提交
色情、暴力
我们会通过消息、邮箱等方式尽快将举报结果通知您。Hold - definition of hold by The Free Dictionary https://www.thefreedictionary.com/hold
hold Also found in: , , , , , , , .Related to hold:
(hōld)v. held (hĕld), hold·ing, holds v.tr.1. a.
To have and keep in one's grasp: held the reins tightly.b.
T point: held a hose on the fire.c.
To keep fr support: a nail too smal h papers that were held together with staples.d.
To sustain the pressure of: The old bridge can't hold much weight.2. a.
To keep from departing or getting away: Hold the bus! Hold the dog until I find the leash.b.
To keep in custody: held the suspect for questioning.c.
To retain (one's attention or interest): Televised sports can't hold my interest.d.
To avoid letting out or expelling: The swimmer held her breath while underwater.3. a.
T contain: This drawer holds socks.b.
To be capable of holding: a pitcher that holds a quart. See Synonyms at .c.
To have as a chief characteristic or quality: The film holds many surprises.d.
To have in store: Let's see what the future holds.4. a.
To have and maintain in one's possession: holds a great deal of property.b.
To have as a responsible position or a privilege: held the governorship for six years.c.
To have in recognition of achievement or superiority: holds the record for the one- holds the respect of her peers.5. a.
To maintain control over: Thieves held the stolen painting for ransom.b.
To maintain occupation of by force or coercion: Protesters held the embassy for a week.c.
To withstand the efforts or advance of (an opposing team, for example).d.
To maintain in a given condition, situation, or action: The storyteller held the crowd spellbound.6. a.
To impose con curb: She held her temper.b.
To stop the movement or progress of: Hold the presses!c.
To reserve or keep back from use: Please hold two tickets for us. Hold the relish on that hamburger.d.
To defer the immediate handling of: The receptionist held all calls during the meeting.7. a.
To own or have title to.b.
To be in possession of, whether legally entitled or not: holds an interest in the company.c.
To bind by a contract.d.
To adjudge or decree: The court held that the defendant was at fault.e.
T obligate: He held me to my promise.8. a.
To keep in the mind or convey as a judgment, conviction, or point of view: holds that this economic program is the only answer to high prices.b.
To assert or affirm, especially formally: This doctrine holds that people are inherently good.c.
To regard in a certain way: I hold you in high esteem.9. a.
To carry on: held the race in T hold a yard sale.b.
To assemble for and con convene: held a meeting of the board.10. a.
To carry or support (the body or a bodily part) in a certain position: Can the baby hold herself up yet? Hold up your leg.b.
To cover (the ears or the nose, for example) especially for protection: held my nose against the stench.v.intr.1. a.
To maintain a grasp or grip on something.b.
To stay securely fastened: The chain held.2. a.
To maintain a desired or accustomed position or condition: hopes the weather will hold.b.
To withstand stress, pressure, or opposition: The defense held. We held firm on the negotiations.3.
To continue in the same direction: The ship held to an easterly course.4.
To be valid, applicable, or true: The observation still holds in cases like this.5.
To halt an intended action. Often used in the imperative.6.
To stop the countdown during a missile or spacecraft launch.7.
Slang To have in one's possession illicit or illegally obtained material or goods, especially narcotics: The suspect was holding.n.1. a.
The act or a means of grasping.b.
A manner of grasping an opponent, as in wrestling or aikido:
an arm hold.2.
Something that may be grasped or gripped, as for support.3.
A control or adjustor on a television that keeps the screen image in proper position: adjusted the horizontal hold.4.
A telephone service that allows one to temporarily interrupt a call without severing the connection.5. a.
A bond or force that attaches or restrains, or by which something is affected or dominated: a writer with a strong hold on her readership.b.
Complete control: has a firm hold on the complex issues.c.
Full understanding: has a good hold on physics.6.
The sustaining of a note longer than its indicated time value.b.
The symbol de a fermata.7. a.
A direction or indication that something is to be reserved or deferred.b.
A temporary halt, as in a countdown.8. a.
A prison cell.b.
The state of
custody.9.
Archaic A a stronghold.Phrasal Verbs:
hold back1.
To retain in one's possession or control: held back
held back my tears.2.
To impede the progress of.3.
To restrain oneself: Tell us what happened. Don't hold back. hold down1.
To limit: Please hold the noise down.2.
To fulfill the duties of (a job): holds down two jobs. hold forth To talk at great length. hold off1.
T resist: held the creditors off.2.
To stop or delay doing something: Let's hold off until we have more data. hold on1.
To maintain one' cling.2.
To endure or continue to do something despite difficulty: They held on until fresh supplies arrived.3.
To wait for something wanted or requested. hold out1.
To present or offer: She held out the possibility that she might run for office.2.
To continue to be
last: How long can our food hold out?3.
To continue to resist: The defending garrison held out for a month.4.
To refuse to reach an agreement or insist on certain demands: The union held out for a better raise. hold over1.
To postpone or delay.2.
To keep in a position or state from an earlier period of time.3.
To continue a term of office past the usual length of time.4.
To prolong the engagement of: The film was held over for weeks. hold to To remain loyal or faithful to: She held to her resolutions. hold up1.
To obstruct or delay.2.
To rob while armed, often at gunpoint.3.
To offer or present as an example: held the essay up as a model for the students.4.
To continue to function without losing fo cope: managed to hold up under the stress. hold with T support: I don't hold with your theories.Idioms:
get hold of1.
To com find: Where can I get hold of a copy?2.
To communicate with, as by telephone: tried to get hold of you but the line was busy.3.
To gain control of. Often used reflexively: You must get hold of yourself! hold a candle to To compare favorably with: This film doesn't hold a candle to his previous ones. hold/keep (one's) end up To fulfill one's
do one's share. hold (one's) own To do reasonably well despite difficulty or criticism. hold out on (someone) To withhold something from: Don' start telling the truth. hold (someone's) feet to the fire To pressure (someone) to consent to or undertake something. hold sway To have a c dominate. hold the bag Informal 1.
To be left with empty hands.2.
To be forced to assume total responsibility when it ought to have been shared. hold the fort Informal 1.
To assume responsibility, especially in another's absence.2.
To maintain a secure position. hold the line To maintain the existing position or state of affairs: had to hold the line on salary increases. hold the phone Slang
To stop doing what one is engaged in doing. Often used in the imperative: Hold the phone! Let's end this argument. hold water To stand up to critical examination: Your explanation doesn't hold water. no holds barred Without limits, regulations, or restraints. on hold1.
Into a state of temporary interruption without severing a telephone connection: put me on hold for 10 minutes.2.
Informal Into a state of delay or indeterminate suspension: had to put the romance on hold.[Middle English holden, from Old English healdan.]hold 2
(hōld)n. The lower interior part of a ship or airplane where cargo is stored.[Alteration (influenced by ) of Middle English hole, husk, hull of a ship, from Old English hulu; see
in .]hold (h??ld) vb, holds, holding or held (h?ld) 1. to have or keep (an object) with or within the hands, arms, clasp2.
(tr) to support or bear: to hold a drowning man's head above water. 3. to maintain or be maintained in a specified state or condition: to hold one's emotions in check; hold firm. 4.
(tr) to set aside or reserve: they will hold our tickets until tomorrow. 5.
(when intr, usually used in commands) to restrain or be restrained from motion, action, departure, etc: hold that man until the police come. 6.
(intr) to remain fast or unbroken: that cable won't hold much longer. 7.
(intr) (of the weather) to remain dry and bright: how long will the weather hold?. 8.
(tr) to keep the attention of: her singing held the audience. 9.
(tr) to engage in or carry on: to hold a meeting. 10.
(tr) to have the ownership, possession, etc, of: he holds a law degree from London; who's holding the ace of spades?. 11.
(tr) to have the use of or responsibility for: to hold the office of director. 12.
(tr) to have the space or capacity for: the carton will hold only eight books. 13.
(tr) to be able to control the outward effects of drinking beer, spirits, etc: he can hold his drink well. 14.
(often foll by: to or by) to remain or cause to remain committed to: hold him to his promise; he held by his views in spite of opposition. 15.
( takes a clause as object) to claim: he holds that the theory is incorrect. 16.
(intr) to remain relevant, valid, or true: the old philosophies don't hold nowadays. 17.
(tr) to keep in the mind: to hold affection for someone. 18.
(tr) to regard or consider in a specified manner: I hold him very dear. 19.
(tr) to guard or defend successfully: hold the fort against the attack. 20.
(intr) to continue to go: hold on one's way. 21.
(Classical Music) (sometimes foll by on) music to sustain the sound of (a note) throughout its specified duration: to hold on a semibreve for its full value. 22.
(Computer Science) (tr) computing to retain (data) in a storage device after copying onto another storage device or onto another location in the same device. Compare 4923.
(tr) to be in possession of illegal drugs24. hold for hold good for to apply or be relevant to: the same rules hold for everyone. 25. holding thumbs South African holding the thumb of one hand with the other, in the hope of bringing good luck26. hold it! a. stop! wait!b. stay in the same position! as when being photographed27. hold one's head high to conduct oneself in a proud and confident manner28. hold one's own to maintain one's situation or position esp in spite of opposition or difficulty29. hold one's peace hold one's tongue to keep silent30. hold water to prove credible, logical, or consistent31. there is no holding him he is so spirited or resolute that he cannot be restrainedn32. the act or method of holding fast or grasping, as with the hands33. something to hold onto, as for support or control34. an object or device that holds fast or grips something else so as to hold it fast35. controlling force or influence: she has a hold on him. 36. a short delay or pause37. a prison or a cell in a prison38.
(Wrestling) wrestling a way of seizing one's opponent: a wrist hold. 39.
(Classical Music) music a pause or fermata40.
(Law) a. a tenure or holding, esp of landb. (in combination): leasehold; freehold; copyhold. 41. a container42.
(Fortifications) archaic a fortified place43. get hold of a. to obtainb. to come into contact with44. no holds barred all limitations removed45. on hold in a state of temporary postponement or delay[Old English
related to Old Norse halla, Gothic haldan, German halten] 'holdable adjhold (h??ld) n1.
(Nautical Terms) the space in a ship or aircraft for storing cargo2.
(Aeronautics) the space in a ship or aircraft for storing cargo[C16: variant of hole]hold1
(hoʊld)
held, hold•ing,
to have grasp:
to hold someone's hand.
reserve or retain:
to hold a reservation.
to bear, sustain, or support with or as if with the hands or arms.
to keep in a specified state:
The preacher held them spellbound.
to detain:
The police held her for questioning.
to hold a meeting.
Fear held me from acting.
to have the possess or occupy:
to hold a position of authority.
to contain or be capable of containing:
This bottle holds a quart.
to make accountable:
We will hold you to your word.
held certain beliefs.
to hold a person responsible.
to keep forcibly:
Enemy forces held the hill.
He held a gun on the prisoner.
to decide legally.
to sustain (a musical note, chord, or rest).
to omit, as from an order:
One burger - hold the pickle.
to remain in a specified state:
Hold still.
remain fast:
The clamp held.
to maintain one's position against opposition.
sympathize:
She doesn't hold with new ideas.
to remain faithful:
to hold to one's purpose.
to remain valid:
The rule still holds.
forbear (usu. used imperatively).
hold back,
to hold back tears.
to hinder the advancement of.
to refrain from withhold:
to hold back information.
to refrain from participating.
hold down,
to keep under control or at a low level:
to hold down interest rates.
to continue to function in:
to hold down a job.
hold forth, to speak at great length.
hold oneself in, to exercise restraint.
to keep a firm grip on something.
halt (usu. used imperatively).
to keep a telephone connection open.
to continue to last.
to refuse to yield.
to withhold something expected or due.
hold over,
to keep for future consideration or action.
to keep beyond the arranged period:
to hold a movie over for an extra week.
bring to a stop.
persevere:
I'm tired but holding up.
to p display.
to rob at gunpoint.
an act of holding fast with the hand or
a good hold on the rope.
somethin something to grasp, esp. for support.
something that holds fast or supports something else.
an order reserving something:
to put a hold on a library book.
a controlling force or dominating influence:
to have a hold on a person.
a wrestler's maneuver for seizing and controlling an opponent.
a pause or delay.
a prison cell.
a feature on a telephone that allows voice communication to be interrupted without breaking the connection.
get hold of,
to communicate with by telephone.
into a state of interruption or suspension.
into a state of being kept waiting incommunicado by a telephone hold.
[before 900; Middle E Old English h(e)aldan, c. Old Frisian, Old Norse halda, Old High German haltan]
(hoʊld)
the cargo space in the hull of a vessel, esp. between the lowermost deck and the bottom.
the cargo compartment of an aircraft.
[;95; compare Dutch hol hole, hold] hold1. A cargo stowage compartment aboard ship.2. To maintain or retain possession of by force, as a position or an area.3. In an attack, to exert sufficient pressure to prevent movement or redisposition of enemy forces.4. As applied to air traffic, to keep an aircraft within a specified space or location which is identified by visual or other means in accordance with Air Traffic Control instructions. S retain.hold1. 'hold' used to mean carryWhen you hold something, you carry or support it using your hands or arms. The past tense and past participle of hold is held, not 'holded'.I held the picture up to the light.A baby should be held for feedings and comforting, and at other times.2. used to mean 'have'Hold is sometimes used with the meaning 'have' or 'possess'. It is used, for example, with words like licence and passport.You need to hold a work permit.It is also used with words like opinion.He held firm opinions which usually conflicted with my own.This soon dispelled any foolish notions they might hold about Baldwin's ability.Both of these uses are rather formal, and in conversation you normally use have, not 'hold'.He doesn't need to have a licence.I have very strong opinions about electoral reform.holdPast participle: heldGerund: holdingImperativePresentPreteritePresent ContinuousPresent PerfectPast ContinuousPast PerfectFutureFuture PerfectFuture ContinuousPresent Perfect ContinuousFuture Perfect ContinuousPast Perfect ContinuousConditionalPast ConditionalImperativeholdholdPresentI holdyou holdhe/she/it holdswe holdyou holdthey holdPreteriteI heldyou heldhe/she/it heldwe heldyou heldthey heldPresent ContinuousI am holdingyou are holdinghe/she/it is holdingwe are holdingyou are holdingthey are holdingPresent PerfectI have heldyou have heldhe/she/it has heldwe have heldyou have heldthey have heldPast ContinuousI was holdingyou were holdinghe/she/it was holdingwe were holdingyou were holdingthey were holdingPast PerfectI had heldyou had heldhe/she/it had heldwe had heldyou had heldthey had heldFutureI will holdyou will holdhe/she/it will holdwe will holdyou will holdthey will holdFuture PerfectI will have heldyou will have heldhe/she/it will have heldwe will have heldyou will have heldthey will have heldFuture ContinuousI will be holdingyou will be holdinghe/she/it will be holdingwe will be holdingyou will be holdingthey will be holdingPresent Perfect ContinuousI have been holdingyou have been holdinghe/she/it has been holdingwe have been holdingyou have been holdingthey have been holdingFuture Perfect ContinuousI will have been holdingyou will have been holdinghe/she/it will have been holdingwe will have been holdingyou will have been holdingthey will have been holdingPast Perfect ContinuousI had been holdingyou had been holdinghe/she/it had been holdingwe had been holdingyou had been holdingthey had been holdingConditionalI would holdyou would holdhe/she/it would holdwe would holdyou would holdthey would holdPast ConditionalI would have heldyou would have heldhe/she/it would have heldwe would have heldyou would have heldthey would have held
Switch to Noun1.hold - "he released his clasp on my arm"; "he has a strong grip for an old man"; "she kept a firm hold on the railing", , , , , ,
- someone loops the arm around the neck of another person in a tight grip, "he grabbed the woman in a chokehold, demanded her cash and jewelry, and then fled", ,
- the act of clasping another person in the arms (as in greeting or affection), , ,
- the act of gripping something firmly with the hands (or the tentacles) - a hold used in the sport of wrestling2.hold - understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or ma "he has a good grasp of accounting practices", , , ,
- the cognitive condition of som "he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect" - a natural app "a keen musical sense"; "a good sense of timing"3.hold - power by which something or someone is a "he has a hold over them" - power to "under control"4.hold - time during which so "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action", , , , , , ,
- a time interval during which there is a temporary cessation of something - a mutually agreed delay in the date set for the completion of a job
"they applied for an extension of the loan" - a legally authorized postponement before some obligation must be discharged - the extent to which something is delayed or held back5.hold - a state of being confined (usually for a short time); "his detention was politically motivated"; "the prisoner is on hold"; "he is in the custody of police", ,
- the sta "he was held in confinement"6.hold - a stronghold,
- a strongly fortified defensive structure,
- the use of an archaic expression7.hold - a cell in a jail or prison, ,
- a room where a prisoner is kept8.hold - the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in ord "he grabbed the hammer by the handle"; "it was an old briefcase but it still had a good grip", ,
- a part that is joined to something larger,
- a short-handled device with a globe used for sprinkling holy water,
- the handle of an ax,
- cases used to carry belongings when traveling,
- an implement used in baseball by the batter -
for carrying papers or files or books,
- the handle of a broom - an implement that has hairs or bristles firmly set into a handle,
- implement for beating dust out of carpets - box-shaped baby bed with handles (for a baby to sleep in while being carried) - a kitchen utensil (board or handle) with a wire for cutting cheese - a cup from which coffee is drunk - tall pot in which coffee is brewed,
- the club use "a cricket bat has a narrow handle and a broad flat end for hitting" - the stock or handle of a whip,
- tableware implements for cutting and eating food - any cutting tool with a sharp cutting edge (as a chisel or knife or plane or gouge),
- a regulator for controlling the flow of a liquid from a reservoir, ,
- a pan used for frying foods,
- the handle of a weapon or tool - a rectangular frame with
carried by two people, , ,
- wheeled vehicle that can b may have one o "he used a handcart to carry the rocks away"; "their pushcart was piled high with groceries" - the shaped bar used to steer a bicycle,
- telephone set with the mouthpiece and earpiece mounted on a single handle - a tool used with workers' hands - the handle of a sword or dagger - the handle of a hoe - a round handle - a spoon-shaped vesse frequently used to transfer liquids from one container to another - the handle of a mop - with handle and usually cylindrical - the handle of a pan,
- handgrip formed by the raised front part of a saddle - a handgrip that a gymnast uses when performing exercises on a pommel horse,
- a sports implement (usually consisting of a handle and an oval frame with a tightly interlaced network of strings) used to strike a ball (or shuttlecock) in various games - the handle of a rake - a de used for stewing or boiling,
- cylinder forming a long narrow part of something - a turner with a narrow flexible blade - the handle end of some "he grabbed the cue by the stock",
- the handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine
"the rifle had been fitted with a special stock" - a cup from which tea is drunk - a lightweight handheld collapsible canopy,
- a container with a handle and a spout with used to sprinkle water over plants9.hold - the space in a ship or aircraft for storing cargo, , ,
- a structure consisting of an area that has been enclosed for some purpose - a vessel that carries passengers or freightVerb1.hold - keep in a certain state, position, e.g., "keep clean"; "hold in place"; "She always held herself as a lady"; "The students keep me on my toes", ,
- maintai "the airplane cabin is pressurized"; "pressurize a space suit", , , ,
- keep or maintain in cau "preserve the peace in the family"; "continue the family tradition"; "Carry on the old traditions" - keep in a position or state from an earlier period of time - keep constant through physical or chemical reactions or "Energy is conserved in this process" - keep undisturbed for personal or private use for hunting, shooting, "preserve the forest and the lakes" - "we have to distance ourselves from these events in order to continue living" -
take care of all business related to a household, ,
- cause to be sl "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform", , ,
- stand up or offer resistance to somebody or something, , , , ,
- hold back, as of
check the expan "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism", , , , , , ,
- continue to live through h "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?" - keep in a position or state from an earlier period of time2.hold - have or hold in one' "Hold this bowl for a moment, please"; "A crazy idea took hold of him",
- hold firmly, , ,
- hold firmly, usually with one' "She clutched my arm when she got scared" - hold
"He cradles the child in his arms" - hold a boxing opponent with one or both arms so as to prevent punches, ,
- hold i "He locked his hands around her neck" - hold or c "The gaps between the teeth trap food particles" - hold or place in
"He cradled the infant in his arms", , ,
- release, as from one' "Let go of the door handle, please!"; "relinquish your grip on the rope--you won't fall"3.hold - organize o "hold a reception"; "have, throw, or make a party"; "give a course", , ,
- be in charge of4.hold - have or possess, either in a concrete
"She has $1,000 in the bank"; "He has got two beautiful daughters"; "She holds a Master's degree from Harvard", , ,
- supply with nec "She alone sustained her family"; "The money will sustain our good cause"; "There's little to earn and many to keep",
"Can I keep my old stuffed animals?"; "She kept her maiden name after she married" - "He keeps the shop when I am gone",
- maintain "I keep a car in the countryside"; "She keeps an apartment in Paris for her shopping trips" - "I always keep batteries in the freezer"; "keep food for a week in the pantry"; "She keeps a sixpack and a week's worth of supplies in the refrigerator",
- have or e "OPEC wants to monopolize oil", ,
- "wield power and authority", ,
- "Do you carry kerosene heaters?",
- of rights, titles, "She bears the title of Duchess"; "He held the governorship for almost a decade",
- "This restaurant features the most famous chefs in France" - have or posses "I carry her image in my mind's eye"; "I will carry the secret to my grave"; "I carry these thoughts in the back of my head"; "I carry a lot of life insurance"5.hold - keep in mind or convey as
"take for granted"; "view as important"; "hold these truths to be self-evident"; "I hold him personally responsible", ,
- "Rousseau's philosophy holds that people are inherently good", , , ,
- "She views this quite differently from me"; "I consider her to be shallow"; "I don't see the situation quite as negatively as you do"6.hold - maintain (a theory, thoughts, or feelings); "bear a grudge"; "entertain interesting notions"; "harbor a resentment", , , ,
- undergo an emotional sensation or be in a part "She felt resentful"; "He felt regret"7.hold - to close within bounds, limit or hol "This holds the local until the express passengers change trains"; "About a dozen animals were held inside the stockade"; "The illegal immigrants were held at a detention center"; "The terrorists held the journalists for ransom", , ,
- make unable to perf "disable this command on your computer", , ,
- secure with "tie down the prisoners"; "tie up the old newspapers and bring them to the recycling shed",
- restrain with fetters - restrain or bind with chains,
- bind the arms of,
- place o "pound the cows so they don't stray",
- shut up or confine in any enclosure or within
"The prisoners are safely pounded",
- confine in a fold, like sheep - confine or re "After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot"8.hold - secure and keep for possible futur "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree", , ,
"Can I keep my old stuffed animals?"; "She kept her maiden name after she married" - "She manages to hold down two jobs"9.hold - of rights, titles, "She bears the title of Duchess"; "He held the governorship for almost a decade", ,
- have or possess, either in a concrete
"She has $1,000 in the bank"; "He has got two beautiful daughters"; "She holds a Master's degree from Harvard"10.hold - be the "The beam holds up the roof"; "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"; "What's holding that mirror?", ,
- provide with a
"scaffold the building before painting it" - support, secure, o "block a plate for printing"; "block the wheels of a car" - bear or be able to bear the weight, pressure, "His efforts carried the entire project"; "How many credits is this student carrying?"; "We carry a very large mortgage" - "chock the boat",
- "The life vest buoyed him up" - "pole climbing plants like beans" - s "bracket bookshelves" - support from beneath, , ,
- support by placing against some "shore and buttress an old building" -
"truss the roofs"; "trussed bridges" - support by bracing11.hold - "The jar carries wine"; "The canteen holds fresh water"; "This can contains water", ,
- have as a part, "The list includes the names of many famous writers", ,
- be capable of h "This box won't take all the items"; "The flask holds one gallon" - "This soil retains water"; "I retain this drug for a long time"; "the dam retains the water", ,
- darkness enclosed him"12.hold - h "This hotel can accommodate 250 guests"; "The theater admits 300 people"; "The auditorium can't hold more than 500 people", , ,
- be capable of h "This box won't take all the items"; "The flask holds one gallon" - be able to acco "This tent sleeps six people" - "This box houses the gears" - "The theater seats 2,000"13.hold - remain in a certain state, position, "The weather held"; "They held on the road and kept marching", , , ,
- continue a certain state, condition, "Keep on working!"; "We continued to work into the night"; "Keep smiling"; "We went on working until well past midnight"14.hold - support or hold "She holds her head high"; "He carried himself upright",
- hold "he cannot button his shirt with his slinged arm" - carry oneself, often habitually, with head, shoulders, and upp "The old man was stooping but he could walk around without a cane" - support on th "He piggybacked her child so she could see the show",
- hold or carry in equilibrium, , , , , ,
- behave "She carried herself well"; "he bore himself with dignity"; "They conducted themselves well during these difficult times"15.hold - be valid, applicable, "This theory still holds", ,
- have an existence, "Is there a God?"16.hold - "Rousseau's philosophy holds that people are inherently good", , ,
- keep in mind or convey as
"take for granted"; "view as important"; "hold these truths to be self-evident"; "I hold him personally responsible", , , , , ,
- to declare or affirm solemnly
"Before God I swear I am innocent"17.hold - have as a
"The novel holds many surprises"; "The book holds in store much valuable advise" - have
(copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun); "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"18.hold - be capable of h "This box won't take all the items"; "The flask holds one gallon",
(copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun); "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer", , ,
- "The jar carries wine"; "The canteen holds fresh water"; "This can contains water", ,
- h "This hotel can accommodate 250 guests"; "The theater admits 300 people"; "The auditorium can't hold more than 500 people"19.hold - arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) "reserve me a seat on a flight"; "The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family"; "please hold a table at Maxim's", , , ,
- express th "She requested an extra bed in her room"; "She called for room service" - obtain or arrange (for oneself) "We managed to reserve a table at Maxim's", , ,
- "keep my job for me while I give birth"; "keep my seat, please"; "keep open the possibility of a merger"20.hold - protect against a "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks",
- shield from danger, injury, destruction, "Weatherbeater protects your roof from the rain" - take and maintain control over, of "The dissatisfied students held the President's office for almost a week"21.hold - b
"He's held by a contract"; "I'll hold you by your promise", ,
- bind o "I was pledged to silence" - especially for a training period,
- bind by or as if by indentures, as of an a "an indentured servant" - restrain from independe "He was tied down by his work" - have or establi "She relates well to her peers"22.hold - h "The soprano held the audience"; "This story held our interest"; "She can hold an audience spellbound", , , , , , , , , , , ,
"She captured all the men's hearts"23.hold - "I hold to these ideas", , ,
- "I think he is very smart"; "I believe her to be very smart"; "I think that he is her boyfriend"; "The racist conceives such people to be inferior"24.hold - resist or conf "The politician defied public opinion"; "The new material withstands even the greatest wear and tear"; "The bridge held", , , , ,
- stand up or offer resistance to somebody or something, , ,
- face and wi "She braved the elements"25.hold - be pertinent or re "The same laws apply to you!"; "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"; "The same rules go for everyone", , , , , , , , ,
- "There were lots of questions referring to her talk"; "My remark pertained to your earlier comments",
- "This theory lends itself well to our new data"26.hold - "hold all calls to the President's office while he is in a meeting", , , , , , , , ,
"let's postpone the exam"27.hold - les hold o "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger", , , , , , , , , , ,
- place limits on (extent or access); "restrict the use of this parking lot"; "limit the time you can spend with your friends", , , , ,
- to put down b "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires" - re "the sudden bad news damped the joyous atmosphere", ,
- hold withi "subdue one's appetites"; "mortify the flesh",
- deny oneself (something); restrain, especially from indulg "She denied herself wine and spirits", , ,
- "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool" - plac "This substance is controlled" - cause to grow in a certain way by
"train the vine" - check ones "She managed to catch herself before telling her boss what was on her mind" -
"He bated his breath when talking about this affair"; "capable of bating his enthusiasm" - control the temperature with a thermostat,
- oppose or check by a counteraction28.hold - "Hold the taxi"; "Hold the horse",
- stop (someone or something) from doing something or bein "We must prevent the cancer from spreading"; "His snoring kept me from falling asleep"; "Keep the child from eating the marbles"29.hold - take and maintain control over, of "The dissatisfied students held the President's office for almost a week", ,
- protect against a "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks",
- exercise authoritative c "control the budget"; "Command the military forces"30.hold - "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses",
- "stop a car"; "stop the thief"31.hold - cover as for protection ag "She held her ears when the jackhammer started to operate"; "hold one's nose" - provide with a covering or "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"32.hold - drink alcohol without "He can hold his liquor"; "he had drunk more than he could carry", ,
- "We were up drinking all night"33.hold - aim, point, "Hold the fire extinguisher directly on the flames", , , ,
- point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) "Please don't aim at your little brother!"; "He trained his gun on the burglar"; "Don't train your camera on the women"; "Take a swipe at one's opponent"34.hold - "She was declared incompetent"; "judge held that the defendant was innocent", , ,
- form a "I cannot judge some works of modern art"; "How do you evaluate this grant proposal?" "We shouldn't pass judgment on other people",
- declare to be true or admit the existence or "He admitted his errors"; "She acknowledged that she might have forgotten" - declare to be obsolete,
- declare a child to be illegitimate - declare legally insane - declare in the capacity of
"call a runner out" - declare (a dead person) the first step of "On Sunday, the martyr will be beatified by the Vatican", ,
- declare (a dead person) "After he was shown to have performed a miracle, the priest was canonized", ,
- p "They labeled him unfit to work here",
- d "Cancel the election results"; "strike down a law",
- mak "We formalized the appointment and gave him a title"35.hold - "We agreed on the terms of the settlement"; "I can't agree with you!"; "I hold with those who say life is sacred"; "Both philosophers concord on this point", ,
- end a legal dispute by arri "The two parties finally settled", , , ,
- "After some discussion we finally made up" - "We never saw eye to eye on this question", ,
- b "I grant you this much",
- "I subscribe to your view on abortion",
- reach a conclusion after a discussion or deliberation,
- m "Can you arrange a meeting with the President?" - achieve harmony of opinion, feeling, "No two of my colleagues would agree on whom to elect chairman"36.hold - keep from e "hold your breath", , ,
- "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"holdverb1. , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) Hold the baby while I load the car.2. , , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) Hold the weight with a straight arm above your head. support , , , come undone3. , , , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) If only he would hold her close to him.4. , , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) He was held in an arm lock. restrain , , , 5. , , , , , have a capacity for,
(S.M.S.) The small bottles don't seem to hold much.6. , , , , , , , , , , , , entertain the idea,
(S.M.S.) She holds that it is not admissible to ordain women. consider , , , , , 7. , , , , , ,
(informal),
(S.M.S.) She has never held a ministerial post.8. , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) Applicants should normally hold an Honours degree. possess , , , , , , 9. , , , , , , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) They held frequent consultations concerning technical problems. conduct , , 10. , , , , , , , put in jail,
(S.M.S.) the return of two seamen held on spying charges detain , 11. (sometimes with up) , , , , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) Our luck couldn't hold for ever.12. , , be the case, , , be in force, remain true, , ,
(S.M.S.) Today, most people think that argument no longer holds.13. , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) Didn't it hold your attention?noun1. , , , ,
(S.M.S.) He released his hold on the camera.2. , , , , , ,
(S.M.S.) The idea didn't really get a hold in this country.3. , , ,
(informal), , ,
(informal), , , ,
(S.M.S.) It's always useful to have a hold over people.hold back , , , stop yourself, restrain yourself, refrain from doing something She wanted to say something but held back.hold forth , , , , ,
(informal), , ,
(informal), , ,
He is capable of holding forth with great eloquence.hold off , , , , , ,
The hospital staff held off taking him in for an X-ray.hold on wait (a minute),
(informal),
(informal),
(informal), just a moment or second Hold on while I have a look.hold onto something or someone1. , , , ,
He was struggling to hold onto the rock above his head.2. , , , not give away, keep possession of to enable Spurs to hold onto their strikerhold out , , , , , , , ,
He can only hold out for a few more weeks.hold out against something or someone , , , ,
They held out against two companies of troops.hold someone back , , , , , , , , ,
Does her illness hold her back from making friends or enjoying life?hold someone down , , , , , , , ,
some vast conspiracy to hold down the younger generationhold someone up , , , , , , ,
Why were you holding everyone up?hold something back1. , , , , , rein (in), , stem the flow of Stagnation in home sales is holding back economic recovery.2. , , , , ,
(informal),
You seem to be holding something back.hold something down1. , , ,
He could never hold down a job.2. , , , keep low,
rates necessary to hold down inflationhold something in , , , hold something back, , choke something back, fight something back Go ahead and cry. Don't hold it in.hold something or someone dear , , , , , rate highly, , value highly,
(informal), care very much for Labour has dumped just about all it held dear a decade ago.hold something or someone off , , , , ,
holding off a tremendous challengehold something out , , , ,
Max held out his cup for a refill.hold something over , , , , , , , take a rain check on (U.S. & Canad. informal) Further voting might be held over until tomorrow.hold something up1. , , , , , , ,
Hold it up so we can see it.2. , , , , , , ,
Mills have iron pillars holding up the roof.3. ,
(informal),
(slang, chiefly U.S.),
A thief ran off with hundreds of pounds after holding up a petrol station.hold up1. , , , ,
Children's wear is holding up well in the recession.2.
(informal), be valid, , be credible,
I'm not sure if the argument holds up, but it's stimulating.hold with something , be in favour of, , , , agree to or with,
I don't hold with the way they do things nowadays.hold your own , , , , , , , ,
(informal), , maintain your position The Frenchman held his own against the challenger.lay hold of something or someone , , , , , ,
They laid hold of him with rough hands.holdverb1. To put one's arms around affectionately:, , , , , .Slang:
, , .2. To sustain the weight of:, , , .3. To keep in custody:.4. To compel, as the attention, interest, or imagination, of:, , , , , , , , .Slang:
.5. To be filled by:, .6. To have the room or capacity for:, .7. To have and maintain in one's possession:, , , , , .8. To have at one's disposal:, , , , .9. To have the use or benefit of:, , .10. To control, restrict, or arrest:, , , , , , , , , , , , ,
(back, in, or up), .11. To keep at one's disposal:, , , .12. To have an opinion:, , , , .Informal:
, .Idiom: be of the opinion.13. To put into words positively and with conviction:, , , , , , , , , , , , , .Idiom: .14. To view in a certain way:, , , .15. To prove valid under scrutiny.Also used with up:, .Informal:
.Idioms: , , .16. To organize and carry out (an activity):, , .phrasal verbhold back1. To have and maintain in one's possession:, , , , , .2. To interfere with the progress of: (down), , , , .Idiom: get in the way of.3. To hold (something requiring an outlet) in check:,
(back), , ,
(up), , , , , , , , , .Informal:
(or upon).4. To control, restrict, or arrest:, , , , , , , , , , , , ,
(back, in, or up), .phrasal verbhold down1. To hold (something requiring an outlet) in check:,
(back), , ,
(up), , , , , , , , , .Informal:
(or upon).2. To control, restrict, or arrest:, , , , , , , , , , , , ,
(back, in, or up), .phrasal verbhold inTo control, restrict, or arrest:, , , , , , , , , , , , ,
(back, in, or up), .phrasal verbhold off1. To put off until a later time:, , , , , , , , , , .Informal:
.Idiom: .2. To hold oneself back:, , , , .phrasal verbhold outTo be in existence or in a certain state for an indefinitely long time:, , , , , , , .phrasal verbhold up1. To put off until a later time:, , , , , , , , , , .Informal:
.Idiom: .2. To cause to be later or slower than expected or desired:, , , , , ,
(down or up), .3. To take property or possessions from (a person or company, for example) unlawfully and usually forcibly:, .Slang:
, .4. To withstand stress or difficulty:, , .phrasal verbhold withTo be favorably disposed toward:, , .Informal:
.Idiom: .noun1. An act or means of holding something:, , , , .Sports:
.2. A strong or powerful influence:, .3. Firm control:, .4. Intellectual hold:, , , , .Informal:
???????? ?????????? ???????????????? ???????????? ?? ??????? ??????????dr?etdr?et sehájithlídathmatholdeholde henholde nogen fast til nogetindeholdeindflydelsepidell?pit??ruumas?ilytt??sis?lt??dr?atiprimatibí?aeigagegnageymagilda???を収容できる手に持つ...? ?? ??????aizstāvētaizturētbūtbūt spēkādomāt?aka?chysta?dr?anie sahmatkona?dr?atiimetioropatipo?akatiprijemh?llarymma?? ?????????tutu?uzatmakyakalamac?mcó s?c ch?ahold [ˈhəʊld] vb [held] [ˈhɛld] (pt, pp) vt (= clasp, grasp) → She held the baby → Elle
le .Can you hold this for a minute? → Tu peux me
?a une minute? (= keep, maintain)Hold your hands in front of your face →
devant vos .to hold one's back straight → to hold sth shut →
qch (e)to hold sth open →
qch (e)to hold the door open for sb [person] →
à qnto hold one's head high (= refuse to be ashamed) →
to hold one's own [person] → bien to hold one's own against sb [person] →
qnFor a time they held their own against the imperial troops → Pendant un , ils
.to hold one's breath →
sa don't hold your breath! → ?a n'arrivera
!to hold sb's interest →
l'intérêt de qnIt's hard to hold their interest → Il
leur .to hold sb's attention →
l'attention de qn en It's done in a way that will hold children's attention → C'est
l'attention des .Stein is an impressive public speaker capable of holding the attention of large audiences for hours at a stretch → Stein
l'attention de son
pendant des
de . (= contain) → This bottle holds one litre → Cette
un .The stadium can hold 10 000 people → Le
10 000 personnes.It holds no interest for meBUT Cela ne présente aucun intérêt pour moi. (= cause to take place) [+ meeting] → ; [+ election, referendum] → ; [+ inquiry, investigation] → to hold a meeting →
une to hold talks with sb → s'entretenir avec qnHe has recently held talks with his advisers → Il s'est
avec ses . (= detain) [+ person] → He was held for two days by the police → La
pendant deux .I was held overnight in a cellBUT J'ai passé la nuit dans une cellule.to hold sb prisoner →
qn to hold sb captive →
qn en to hold sb hostage →
(= believe) → , to hold that ... → être d'opinion que ...to hold the view that ... → être d'opinion que ...,
que ...I myself hold the view that → Je suis
d'opinion que ...to hold sb responsible for sth →
qchto hold sb liable for sth →
de qn pour qch,
qchThe legislation will hold parents liable when their children commit crimes → La
leurs ., La
leurs .to be held liable for sth → (e)
qchA business firm can be held liable for damages caused by employees → Une
peut être
par ses .BUT La responsabilité d'une entreprise commerciale peut être engagée en cas de dommages causés par ses employés. (= possess) [+ title, position] → ; [+ licence] → avoir, être
deHe has held his position for exactly a year → Il a
un an.BUT Il a été à ce poste pendant exactement un an.He did not hold a firearms licence → Il n'avait pas de
d'arme.to hold shares in a company →
dans une to hold office →
un , être en He continues to hold the office of army Chief of Staff → Il
d'état-major de l'armée.She ha

我要回帖

更多关于 求婚英文歌 的文章

随机推荐