两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
复习课件unit9_Do_you_want_to_go_to_a_movie
上传于||暂无简介
大小:235.00KB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢MenuScience can change the world
In October 2016, we’re going to be launching an exciting Challenge to support entrepreneurial scientists who are changing the world through renewable energy solutions.
“Instead of mosquitoes killing us, we’re killing them.”
- BART KNOLS -
“I thought that if these crazy people asking for funding can start a business, so can I.”
- MOLLY MORSE -
“We couldn’t immediately figure out a way to make it…but then again, we couldn’t figure out why not.”
- ROBERT IRVING -
“With billions of people hungry for protein, spirulina could be the spinach of the future.”
- SAUMIL SHAH -
- BART KNOLS -
“I thought that if these crazy people asking for funding can start a business, so can I.”
- MOLLY MORSE -
“We couldn’t immediately figure out a way to make it…but then again, we couldn’t figure out why not.”
- ROBERT IRVING -
“With billions of people hungry for protein, spirulina could be the spinach of the future.”
- SAUMIL SHAH -
Acid rain. Smallpox.
The disappearing ozone layer...
Just a short time ago, much of the world saw these things as our inevitable destiny. Fortunately, positive-minded scientists saw them as mere technical problems – to be overcome, just like any other scientific problem. And now they are overcoming them. Today, this scientific spirit continues in unusual, fascinating and uplifting ways in order to solve
our next generation of defining societal challenges based around big issues like climate & energy, food & nutrition, and health & wellness. A handful of inspirational people - that you’ve probably never heard of - are proving that science doesn’t just change the game.
It can change our world.
You just need big ideas and an even bigger heart...
- BART KNOLS -
Underneath the mango tree
The eave tube is a simple plastic pipe with a remarkable mosquito-killing gauze fitted into the walls beneath the roofs of African houses. It’s one of several life-saving innovations to be born underneath the mango tree, thanks to Dr Bart Knols and a team of more than 40 researchers from five countries, that he orchestrates.
As a renowned authority in malaria, Bart got tired of writing research papers about mosquitoes without putting that knowledge into practice…so he decided to set up a company that does just that. Not an easy decision when a glittering and comfortable career in academia beckons and you have a family and mortgage to consider…
Having raised all-important funding from the EU, Bart’s team decided to develop simple and affordable new tools to combat mosquitoes. So to help brainstorm ideas for killing malaria, he and a team of scientists flew out to Tanzania, where the disease is rife. But this team wasn’t full of entomologists like himself. Instead it brought together experts from unrelated fields, with different ideas and backgrounds. And together, they did their thinking and talking…underneath a mango tree: Very fruitful it proved too.
The result was the simple eave tube. Today, more than 1,500 homes in Tanzania have been fitted with eave tubes, protecting some 7,000 people. Bart’s dream is to tackle a further 1.2 million homes around Lake Victoria where malaria infects every third child. Tubes are reducing the number of malaria mosquitoes indoors by 85-90%. “For the first time in a very long time people tell us they are sleeping more peacefully at night,” says Bart.
And since dedicating his life to the massacre of malaria, so is he.
How do Eave tubes work? -
Documentary about eave tubes -
Company website -
EU (eave tube) project website -
BBC website on insecticide coating -
The Economist on static Electricity -
Visit Bart’s web site
See Bart’s
i want to read more watch the movie#Brightscience
- MOLLY MORSE -
Getting bioplastics off the ground
What if we could produce plastic using one of nature’s most potent greenhouse gases (methane)? And what if that plastic wasn’t harmful to the environment but naturally biodegradable? What impact might an innovation like this have on the oceans, global warming, and the seemingly inevitable droughts, floods and human suffering it will cause to future generations?
This is the question that drifted into the mind of Molly Morse one fine day in California while consulting for a venture capital firm and listening to yet another bioscience pitch from people who didn’t really know what the and then suddenly realizing that: She did.
Within a few weeks Molly was learning how to create a start-up company from scratch. As a result, Mango Materials’ first field lab was based inside an old shipping container, with just one computer shared between four people, and not enough chairs.
The inspiration? Molly had conducted PhD research at Stanford University involving the production and biodegradation of a naturally occurring biopolymer, polyhydroxyalkanote (PHA). As a result she and her colleagues succeeded in creating a unique way of producing PHA using bacteria fed by methane.
And so, she decided to commercialize it.
Today, Mango Materials can produce methane-based PHA at cost parity to oil-based plastics. The current goal is to scale-up production to ten million pounds of biodegradable plastic, which requires a staggering half billion cubic feet of methane: Gas that would otherwise be trapping heat in the atmosphere and warming up our planet.
Visit Molly’s personal web site:
Visit Mango Materials’ web site:
See Molly’s Vimeo talk:
- ROBERT IRVING & RICHARD LITTLE -
SCIENTISTS
A blueprint to walk again
“Most of us don’t realize what the human body is capable of until it’s too late.”
So says Robert Irving, co-inventor of REX – an astonishing ‘walking machine’ like no other. It contains 29 computers (the brain); 10 power Units (the muscles); hundreds of wires (the nerves); and a frame (the skeleton). Plus a joystick for steering. A total of 4,320 components – of which 4,318 are custom-made.
Like many great inventions it was born out of necessity. Robert was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis back in 2004 and with it an 80% chance of being wheelchair-bound. His best pal (and fellow engineer) Richard Little suggested they invent a pair of bionic legs to help him.
“We sat in the pub and scribbled down the first, very rough blueprint on the back of a beer coaster. It then took two years of working weekends in the garage before we finally had a working version, able to walk by itself.”
After a further six years and many ‘dark nights’ (including the sacrifice of family time, sleep and at times, sanity) they received funding for their start up, Rex Bionics.
Today, REX bionic legs are benefitting people from Korea to the United States, from paraplegics or stroke sufferers. For these people - for now at least - technology has beaten medicine in the race to help them walk again.
“Every time REX helps someone stand up it’s a deeply emotional experience for everyone,” he says. People have to literally re-imagine their lives again.”
With an estimated five million potential users in Europe and the United States alone, work has now begun on the next REX.
As for Robert, he continues to stand on his own two feet – in every respect.
Visit the Rex Bionics web site:
See Sophie Morgan’s video diary (ambassador Rex Bionics):
- SAUMIL SHAH -
Going green
Back in the 1970s, spirulina - a high-protein, bright green algae found in remote corners of the world - was hailed as the “super food of the future”. With three times the protein of a chicken breast but just a fraction of the carbon footprint…how could it not be?
Several decades of disappointment followed. Even NASA scientists couldn't grow it truly efficiently (although of course growing any plant on a spacecraft is quite some challenge). Since then spirulina has been grown in laboratories and in both natural and man-made lakes. And now…the rooftops of Bangkok.
It's the ultimate in urban farming: Using otherwise vacant real estate to grow crops. And it's all the brainchild of Saumil Shah - a former aerospace engineer who decided to leave his corporate job and become a social entrepreneur.
&What always fascinated me was the ability of spirulina to remove CO2 from our atmosphere and use it to grow very quickly. In fact spirulina can double its mass in two to four days.& Today, some 1,500 square meters of Bangkok urban space (including the roof of the famous Novotel in Siam Square) is doubling as a spirulina farm. The plant is growing in semi-transparent and interconnected plastic tubs that feed through to a centralized harvesting unit, thus requiring very little space, water and manual labor compared to traditional methods.
Which is why Saumil's company EnerGaia is today providing spirulina in fresh paste, powdered, and frozen formats - as well as a range of spirulina pastas and bottled fruit juices.
Not that it’s been easy. “I began in 2009 and have been largely self-funded ever since. Sometimes I wonder if I'm throwing my savings away but then I see our products benefitting real people and realize it’s too late to stop now. Although we could definitely use some help from like-minded people!”
EnerGaia has recently launched a Kickstarter campaign offering its sprulina products as rewards. For anyone interested in supporting this cause please see the link below.
Visit Saumil’s web site:
Watch the video on the EnerGaia Kickstarter project:
Go to the EnerGaia Kickstarter project:
See the spirulina movie:
Science inspires us. How does it inspire you?
Do you know of...
An unsung scientific hero doing great things for society?
An obscure product or solution that is changing the world?
A discovery or an idea that could benefit people or planet?
We would love to hear about it.
"Please note that comments that contain personal insults, obscenity or engage in any misbehavioral conduct will be removed."i want to see a film的祈使句_百度知道
i want to see a film的祈使句
我有更好的答案
你好!Let's
see a film
Let me go to see a film.希望有所帮助!
其他类似问题
为您推荐:
祈使句的相关知识
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁1.由“I like to see thrillers and science fictions, my friend Sam loves action
movies and comedies and my best friend, Lee, loves
a good romance”可知。2.由“so we're going to see ?Harry
PotterⅢ,...I can't it”,可知。
3.由“So we usually talk turns to choose the movie”可知。
4.由短文的意思:不同的人喜欢不同的电影,因此选择看哪一部是困难的。
请在这里输入关键词:
科目:初中英语
来源:黄冈重点作业·初二英语(下)
阅读理解填词:先阅读短文,然后在其后空格处写出各单词的正确形式,单词的第一个字母已给出
The best way of learning a language is by u
it. The best way of learning English is talking in English as m
as possible. Sometimes you will g
your words mixed up and people wil sometimes people will say things too q
and you can't understand them. But if you k
your sense of humour (幽默感) , you can always have a good laugh at the mistakes you make. Don't be unhappy i
people seem to be laughing at your mistakes. It is much b
for people to be laughing at your mistakes than to be a
because they don't c
what you are saying. The most important rule for learning English is “Don't be afraid of e
makes mistakes.”
1.u________  2.m________
3.g________  4.q________
5.k________  6.i________
7.b________  8.a________
9.c________  10.e________
来源:内蒙古自治区中考真题
题型:填空题
阅读理解填词&&&&&& It was Mary's birthday. She received a l& 1&& from her uncle.&&"Dear Mary." he w&&2&&.&&"Happy Birthday. I'm sending you some chickens. They will arrive tomorrow. I hope you'll like them.&&Uncle Toby. "&&&&&&Mary was very e&&3&&.&&She liked eating eggs and chicken.&&"I can f&&4&&&the chickens for their eggsor cal them. " she through.&&&&&&When the chickens arrived the next day. they were put in a box.&&Mary was very happy. She took the box o&5&& the truck anti began to carry it into her garden, but the box of chickens was so heavy that she d&&6&& it.&&&&&&The box fell onto the g&&7&& and broke. The chickens all ran out. They ran here and there. It took Mary hours to try to find them.&&&&&&A few days liner her uncle came.&&He asked. "Did the chickens arrive s&&8&&?" "Yes. but I broke the box. It was o&&9&& and the chickens ran everywhere. It took me the whole&&morning, to look for them. "Mary said.&&&&&&"Did you find them all?" asked her uncle. "I hope so. " Mary answered. "But I only caught elevenof them " "That's very interesting.&&I only sent you six. " her uncle 1&10& .
来源:湖北省中考真题
题型:填空题
阅读理解填词。先阅读短文,然后在短文后1-10小题空白处写出各单词的正确形式,单词的第一个字母已给出。&&& Last spring I was walking in a park. In front of me there was a mum and her 3-year-old daughter. The littlegirl was holding a string (线), which had a balloon at the other e&&&&1&&& .&&&& All of a sudden, a l&&&&2&&&&&&wind took the balloon from the little girl. I thought she would cry. &&& But, no! As the little girl turned to watch her balloon rise to the s& & 3&&& , she cheerfully shouted out, "Wow!" &&& That little girl t&&& 4&&& &me something. Later that day, I received a phone call from my friend, he told me an unexpected problem. I felt&annoyed&r&& 5&&& &with "Oh no, what should we do?" But remembering that little girl, Ifound m&&& 6&&& &saying: "Wow, that is interesting! How can I help you?"&&&& One thing is for sure-life is always going to make us f&& 7&&& &unexpected problems. However, how to deal with them is our choice. We can choose to be annoyed or i&& 8& & . &&& No matter what the situation is, a "Wow!" will always b&&& 9&&&& "Oh, no." &&& So the next time you meet one of life's unexpected g&& 10& & , remember that little girl and make it a "Wow!"experience. The "Wow!" always works. 1.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &2.&&&&&& && &&&&&&& & 3.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & 4.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 5.&&&&&&&& &&&&&&& 6.&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&& 7.&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&& 8.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &9.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 10.&&&&&&&&& &&&&&
来源:北京模拟题
题型:阅读理解
阅读理解。&&&& All over the planet, they are disappearing. Scientists are worried. It may mean the end of the world. I'm not talking about disappearing frogs. I'm talking about absent vowels (元音). I got a message the other daythat said," Mt@ 3rd st crnr@ 12", signed (签字) "BT". What did it mean? A young man in the office toldme that BT meant" beauty" and translated:" A beautiful young woman wants to meet you at the corner of Third Street at noon."&& &&&& The following week I was at a private dining club when a Hong Kong banker named David told me he had met with a man who pronounced his name Choong,but spelt C - H - N - G." There can't be many names with no vowels in them," he said. It turned out he was sitting next to a Singaporean doctor named Ng. Vowelsare disappearing at high speed among businesses, too. Ever wondered what happened to Reebok, the sportswear company? It's still around but has renamed itself Rbk. Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC.&&&& &I've read articles saying that the no-vowels trend (趋向) is caused by companies trying to give theirproducts the shorthand spelling liked by young people. But a research finds that the real reason is often more uninteresting. Flickr,one of the busiest websites on the Internet, was set up by people who wanted the name Flicker but were too careless to register (注册) that word. &&&& Have any readers ever been to a small town in the mountains of California called Zzyzx? A man named Curtis Howe Springer founded it as a health club and called it Zzyzx because he thought it sounded different.The business failed. People who looked through lists for somewhere to go never reached it. &&&& Older readers may remember the computer game Zzyzzyzz that appeared in 1982. Fans did not know how to ask for it. James Gleick's book Faster has been re-titled FSTR. But the revision is half-hearted with the main text of the book still having vowels. Why not write the whole book in the simpler way? U cn stll rd the wtht vwls. On the other hand,just know that vowel-free words can be explained in different ways. One day I'll get a message from a BT& who may be a beauty. But I'm afraid a bat (蝙蝠) will be out there. 1. The writer's purpose in the passage is _______. A. to introduce a new trend B. to study a new languageC. to correct a new mistake&D. to show a new method 2. The word "around" in the third paragraph means _______. A. on every sideB. here and there C. present in a place D. without special purposes 3. What's the result of the use of vowel-free words,according to the passage? A. It makes communication easier. B. It helps us write more quickly. C. It bringsa lot of fun to people.D. It causes some trouble in life. 4. What does the writer think of the use of vowel-free words? A. He doubts the idea a little. B. He doesn't mind the matter. C. He doesn't think it's good to do so. D. He accepts the idea at last.
来源:同步题
题型:阅读理解
阅读理解。&&&& Talking on a mobile phone is expensive, so a lot of people send text messages. Text messages are much cheaper by making the words shorter. You can do this by taking out "unimportant" letters in the words and using numbers instead of words (2=to, 3=free, 4 = for, 8 = ate, so, etc. ). You can also keepa way from using punctuation. Here is an example: Do u wnt 2 g 2 th cnma tnit? (Do you want go to the cinema tonight?)&&&& What do you think these text messages mean?&&&& Whr hv U bn? Iv bn wing hrs fr a cll.&&&& Im hm nw, why nt gv me a cll.&&&&&I gt a txt mssge frm my frnd. Shes hvng a prty on Strdy. &&&& Mobile phone users have developed a group of symbols to show how they feel. They are called emoticons, and there are some examples below. To read an emoticon, you have to look at it sideways. For example, if you say something in a text message that is a joke, you can follow it with a smiling face. Like this :&&&& Why didt you call me? I'm so sad.- (Here are some others. Can you think of text messages where you could use them? -) laughing, -( sad,& -& really&sad,&&-o&shocked,&&-v shouting,&&| . | asleep,&&8-| ,&surprised,&&/\-o& bored.
1. Why are text messages popular?A. Because they are expensive.B. Because they are cheap.C. Because they are hard to write.D. Because they are not important.2. The first paragraph tells us that we can make the text messages shorter in _______ways.A. one&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&B. twoC. three&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&D. four3. What does this text message " Do U wnt 2 cks?" mean? It means_______.A. Do you want to come?B. Do you wear two caps?C. Do you want two cakes?D. Do you go home early?4. Why do people use emoticons?A. Because they can show how the users feel.B. Because the symbols are beautiful.C. Because the text messages are short.D. Because the users can't make the words shorter.5. If you want to say someone is happy,&&you could use the symbol "&&&&&&&&___ " in the text message.A. -)&& B. -(&& C. -v&& D.&|·|

我要回帖

更多关于 want to see a ufo 的文章

随机推荐